The forests of Meghalaya can be broadly classified into the following types:
- Alluvial Sal - This type conforms to type North Indian Tropical Moist Deciduous Kamrup Alluvial Sal Forests (3C/C2 d(iv).
- Foothill and Plateau Sal - This type conforms to the type North India Tropical Moist Deciduous Eastern Hill Sal Forests (3c/Cla).
- Very Moist Sal Bearing Forests - Khasi Hills Sal (3C/C1 a (ii).
- Mixed Deciduous Forests - North India Tropical Moist Deciduous (East Himalayan Moist Deciduous Forests (3C/C3 b).
- Evergreen Forests - These forests conform to the type Northern Tropical Semi-Evergreen Forests (2B1s1).
- Bamboo Forests - This type conforms to the type Northern Tropical Semi-Evergreen Forests (2B1S1).
- Grasslands - Northern Tropical Moist Deciduous Forests - Low Alluvial Savannah Woodland (2/ISI).
- Assam Sub-Tropical Pine Forests - (9/C2).